Friday, September 11, 2015

DIY BODY SCRUB-The Power of Exfoliation

We all know how important it is to exfoliate. It helps to rid our skin of the dull, dead skin flakes that might hinder the smoothness we want . There are many places that sell exfoliating products , but the danger is that you don't know what's in them. Furthermore, if you are being abrasive to your skin with something dangerous, then you are essentially just making it easier for toxins to penetrate your skin. Another drawback is the price tag on some of the scrubs. I myself have used body scrubs from stores that are charging upwards of 30$ for a measly amount. The solution you ask? Make your own! There is nothing greater than the sense of achievement in making something yourself and an even greater sense of greatness when that thing does your body good!
     I have perfected this recipe to suit my skin's needs but you can adjust the amount of ingredients based on your skin's specific concerns.

What you will need:
1. Coffee- I used ground coffee and filled an 8oz mason jar 3/4 of the way up. Coffee is obviously used in a lot of body scrubs and this is because it has caffeine in it. Notice how caffeine is also in many eye creams to combat the darkness and make your skin look more alive. It naturally reduces inflammation and tightens the skin. You'll notice when you try  this scrub!


2. Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil- Need I say more? Coconut oil is my holy grail product. I use it to remove eye makeup and for my oil pulling techniques. It has seriously improved my acne so much and so the benefits to your skin are even better in a scrub. I used about 1/2 a cup solid and melted it. Then I mixed it into the coffee grounds.


3. Almond oil- Almond oil is so great for a slew of things. I mainly use it overnight in my hair to keep it in great shape. Adding almond oil will give moisture and suppleness to your skin, resulting in a radiant glow. I used about 2tbsp.



4. Vitamin E oil- A few drops of this baby will prolong the benefits of your scrub making your skin feel baby soft after using the scrub. If you have extra dry skin I would recommend putting more than the 1tsp I put in. 


I used a good amount of liquid products and mixed it in with my coffee grounds and this is because I prefer a wetter scrub. I know some people like to use their scrubs dry without any water but I prefer it with water. If you are one of these individuals then go right ahead and reduce what you think your skin doesn't need as much. Another tidbit is that you can add any essential oil to amp the fragrance output. I love the coconut and coffee smell so I did not do this.  
Mix all of these ingredients together and Voila! You are a genius for creating your own scrub! Skin loving ingredients that work to make you even more beautiful than you already are! Happy Scrubbing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment